Linksys Wireless-G Router with SRX400

After watching the Golden Globes last night I decided to upgrade the family network at 10 PM. Its just my nocturnal nature to do stuff like this late at night.

I installed the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400, to replace a Linksys wireless-B router. This MIMO based router is supposed to increase wireless speeds by a factor of 10 if they have a matching card that supports SRX/MIMO.

Well I got one of those cards as well, the Linksys WPC54GX4 and installed it in my daughter's Sony PCV-W10 PC which is a really cool but really WEIRD PC that came with 2 PCMCIA slots. So! Now she has faster connectivity and my PC which had been stuck at the maximum speed of the old "B" router (11MBps) is now running at "G" speed (54MBps).

It was nice to do the upgrade. Tonight I am going to plug in the MAC addresses off of each PC so that any snoopy neighbors can't share our bandwidth (which can get a bit boggy when the 3 of us are all on). Screw the high tech WEP crap, just plug in the MAC addresses and shut everyone else out.

No comments: